Brighton's Referral Picture

Brighton's Referral Picture
Red Bird above shoulder on the right side of picture.

Officially "MaMa" to my little girl!

Officially "MaMa" to my little girl!

Saturday, January 22, 2011

Friday and Saturday

Greetings from Guangzhou!!! It is such a good feeling to have half of the trip behind us. We traveled on Friday and late that evening we arrived at the beautiful White Swan Hotel. Brighton had some sort of set back and decided yesterday that I could no longer hold her she only wanted Nathan. Poor fellow was exhausted because she was wearing him out. If I tried to intervene she screamed bloody murder. At one point, in the airport, Nathan needed a break so I just took her and walked around, she screamed and chanted something non stop. You can not imagine how awful it feels to be in a foreign country with one of "their" children as she is screaming and saying something (that they understand but not you), and everyone one is giving you the biggest "Chinese hairy eyeball" if you know what I mean. I talked to one adoptive mom today, her daughter was doing the same thing on their flight, and she had her phrase interpreted, the little three year old was screaming "my mom a bad guy!!!". OH Lordy!!!! I can not even imagine what Brighton was saying. I don't think I want to know. I decided after that ordeal, that we could not go through this on the very long trip home so the idea came to me to put Brighton in "bonding boot camp". Mike and I realize that she is actually pretty darn aware of what she is doing, you would not believe how smart she is!!!! If she loved on us and played with us the day before, she is capable of letting us at least hold her on the following day. From now on, only me or Mike will be picking her up or feeding her. If she tries to go to Nate, he just kisses her (or shows some sort of affection) then says "MaMa" and guides her to me, at which time I pick her up. You know I was prepared for this to be a pretty stressful week trying to ween her from him. Folks, we had one very minor episode, Nate said his line and all has been fine. Not even the same child as yesterday. I won't say we are totally past it, because she is somewhat of a surprise everyday, but I bet I will be holding her in the airport by the end of next week.
As Brighton was screaming on the plane, one particularly concerned flight attendant wanted to really give me parental advice(she was maybe 20 yrs old), She came to Brighton's aid by trying to soothe her and while doing so noticed her skin. Well I am so very aware of her skin condition, as I have taken her to the Dr. and am daily treating it, but to that young lady it looked like dry skin that needed lotion. Of course communication barriers and exhaustion kept me from trying to explain it all at first, so I just kindly nodded and said "ok" and "yes" to all her instructions. Well, Brighton had one new little fresh, contagious spot turn up on her hand the day before, and the attendant really started to touch it and rub it, to which I break out in this long explanation of the condition, knowing she spoke some English so surly I was getting across to her, "Don't touch it". I even pulled out medicine that had Chinese characters all over it, thinking that would explain to her what is was, and she would STEP AWAY FROM MY BABY--Thank you very much. As I gave her my best dissertation, she seemed really into it and understanding, as did the male flight attendant that had now joined our side show. When I finished, she looked at me so seriously and said, "oh, ok, you need to put lotion on it....dry skin". Never mind I thought as I smiled and simply said "ok". Later as Brighton continued to cry (because Nate was sleeping and could not hold her), that same young lady asked if she could take the baby and help me calm her, and to her surprise I said "NO". Yes, that's right, I said "No". By that time I had had it with the flight attendant-pediatrician-child psychologist!!!!! In fact I had had it with all glaring eyes and scowling faces. So all that to say.....Things WILL be different on the way home, if I have anything to do with it.
Saturday- We enjoyed breakfast here at the White Swan, so many American families with their babies, it always brings me to tears the first day of seeing it. I saw children with missing limbs, down syndrome, and all sorts of special needs. It is so precious to know they now have homes of their own and families that will help them live the best life possible. After breakfast we had Brighton's medical examination, and then did paper work. All went well, pretty uneventful. I will post pictures of her at the medical clinic. Speaking of medical clinic, I may find myself at one tomorrow. I am really under the weather, fighting a painful sinus infection that has now moved to my chest and I ache all over. I went to the hotel Dr. today, but he was not in at the time. We brought antibiotics, so I started some a couple of days ago, and no relief has come. Since the Dr. was not in, we decided to give another kind that we brought a chance, they made me so ill, but I kept them down because I really need to get well. If they haven't kicked in by the morning, I will have to get help, so if you could say a little prayer for me, I would be so thankful, also pray that I don't give it to the others.
On a very sad note, I got the news on Friday that a friend from Summer Grove Passed away, Vanessa Holland Mullins. I am heartbroken for this family, as she was the mom of three (one was only five months old). I watched Vanessa grow up, and was her seventh grade Sunday School teacher. I am confident she is with the Lord now, and finally free from pain. She fought a long battle with cancer, and she was so courageous! So many people have been affected by her and she will be sorely missed. I may be in China, but my heart is with her family and with Summer Grove Baptist as they grieve the loss of one of its own.
God Bless,
Tammy

No comments:

Post a Comment